I watched La La Land a few nights ago, almost ten years after I first saw it in the movie theatre.
Here's my review from January 2017:
https://owlsquill.blogspot.com/2017/01/dancing-down-freeway-of-life-movie.html
I was prepared to feel that the ending was bittersweet.
SPOILER ALERT
When I first watched La La Land, I found myself wishing that Mia and Sebastian could have had a completely happy ending, as shown in the imaginary flashback/flashforward alternative ending. But they only got part of what they wanted, career success. They didn't end up with each other because their successes were based in distant locations.
Mia suggests to her French husband that they turn off the busy freeway to take The Road Less Travelled, a side street and they follow the sound of jazz into a club called Seb's. Inside they find Sebastian playing jazz with his group. He looks up after the song ends and spots Mia with another man. As he plays a new solo piece, there is a flashback to the happy times he shared with Mia five years ago, and extends the fantasy into the present day, where they are married and have their own family. But in the real present time they have found other spouses and have families.
Mia and her husband leave the club. But first Sebastian and Mia share a long silent look, smile faintly, and nod at each other.
This isn't sadness or regret.
It's gratitude.
They were not meant to be romantic partners forever.
They were each other's muse, inspiring the other to continue to follow their true dream and not to settle for anything less.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVVqlm8Fq3Y
Another Day of Sun, La La Land opening scene
No comments:
Post a Comment
Give a hoot.