Sunday, September 11, 2022

September 11 and Other Historical Dates

 Most people can remember where they were and what they were doing when traumatic events happen.


On Tuesday, September 11, 2001

I was in my living room, watching a rerun of L.A. Law, with my sleeping puppy, Echo, on my lap. The program was interrupted by breaking news and I watched in shock as the second plane crashed into the tower. Our house renovator, John, came into the living room, took one look at the tv, and this man who never swore in front of me used some colourful language. I called my mother and told her to turn on the tv.


On Friday, November 22, 1963

I was in front of my gym locker, getting dressed after a Phys Ed class. A rumour started about President Kennedy being shot. I didn't believe it, until it was confirmed in my next class, Geography. Our teacher told us to go home.


On Thursday, September 8, 2022

I was on Twitter when I noticed the news about Queen Elizabeth II's death. Although we knew that Queen Elizabeth was getting old and frail, she seemed as if she would just go on forever. Her death last Thursday is the end of an era and an historic moment. She's joined Prince Phillip. Rest in peace, Your Majesty.










3 comments:

  1. I can so relate to remembering where I was and how I heard on all those dates and a few others. The thing is, I was a little girl in first grade and living in Jerusalem when half a world away the American president (Kennedy) was killed. It was a universal shock reaching all the way to there. Some day, I might write about that particular event and some oddities I experienced right then.
    I assume that for a few still alive, November 7th 1941 (Pearl Harbor) is still a date that lives in infamy. But most of us were barely a thought then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Barb. I was too young for the Kennedy assassination and in India but what I remember is my brother talking about the moon landing! Sept. 11 is etched in my memory. It was the beginning of my husband's conversion so we always honor those who died. RIP. And to Queen Elizabeth II too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember all of those dates vividly, especially the first two: On 9/11, when the horrible news unfolded, we watched for the rest of the day, trying to process it.

    On 11/22/63, I was a college student, and four of us were actually cutting class that day to go out on the SF Bay on a boating trip. As we were getting into the boat, a woman came running to us, calling "They've just shot the President!" For a moment my very first thought was, "That's not funny at all," and then we all realized it was true. We spent the day on the Bay, listening to the news, in shock. Classes were canceled for the rest of the week, and it was a very sorrowful Thanksgiving week-end.

    ReplyDelete

Give a hoot.