Follow by Email

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Decoupaged Contact Lens Box

Decoupaged Contact Lens Box
(Here's Looking at You, Kid!)


Last week I showed you a decoupaged cigar box which I gave to M for his birthday.

Today my decoupage project is a box which I gave to M to keep his new contact lenses in. Eventually he decided not to use the hard contact lenses, and went back to glasses. He now uses this box as a sewing kit, for needles, thread, and buttons.





For the top of the plain box, I used a very thick piece of leftover wallpaper. Normally this isn't a good idea for decoupage because it is too hard to sink it into the surface. And it didn't sink. But I still think it looks pretty.







Wallpaper goes on the exterior top of box.





I painted the top exterior brown and the bottom exterior white.






I painted  the rim white. I lined the bottom with brown velvet, with a trim of gold thread.








Full view of interior.
 But..Wait!
 What's that on the top?





A cut-out of an owl 
 from a greeting card
 is pasted on a white-painted background.
The top is also trimmed with gold thread. 

"Here's looking at you, kid!"
(at least while he wore contacts)











25 comments:

  1. Very cool! I love the attention to detail. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handsome work, Barbara. I can think of a few customers for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mirka! It really was one of a kind. :-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin! I had a lot of fun making this. But boxes are a lot of work. I only made them for very special people: two for M and one for my mother.

      Delete
  4. Very cool work Barbara. (stopped in from QOTKU blog.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! Thanks, too, for visiting my blog! :-)

      Barb

      Delete
  5. Hey Barbara, nice to meet you. I always see project like this and think I can do them. I can't. It's always a big mess. My complete respect goes out to you for doing this and doing it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara. I only posted photos of the two projects I liked best. There were lots of failed experiments... :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi Barbara, saying hi from Janet's blog. What cool projects. Like the owl idea on the inside of the lid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa, and welcome! Thanks. M enjoys his box, although he's repurposed it.

      Delete
  7. Decoupage is fun. Our stereo speakers are decoupaged with pages from a very old piano music book.

    Stopping by from QOTKU blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, another decoupeur! (Well, I'm a former one.) Thanks for your comment, AJ.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful idea. The artist Wayne Theibaud painted lots of boxes as gifts. His paintings sold for over 1 million dollars during his lifetime. I love the cover of your poetry anthology. And I love humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Angie! :-)

      Isn't the cover fun? The cover designer is my friend, artist, Kevin Slattery

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks, Marcia! Have you ever done it?

      Delete
  10. Hey Barbara, coming over from JR's. I love, love, love your project. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks beautiful. Interesting process, too. I learned something new today! Thanks for sharing. JEN Garrett

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks for the hoot of approval, Angela!

      Delete

Give a hoot.